maanantai 4. lokakuuta 2010

Monday equals a new day

Ummh hi,
I decided to start blogging today. As I read many inspiring blogs and some of them are my friends' I thought (as churning the ice cream batch made last night) that why not. No one really has to read it and the people who are interested what I'm up to can follow my actions and musings. The name of the blog comes from the feeling that I might be some times the "lo-fi girl in the hi-fi world" and that not everything has to be perfect to be good or interesting. I consider the most memorable things in life come from these random bumps and scratches and situations unplanned. Hence the name.

As my life pretty much revolves around food, meaning that most of the time I am thinking about what I have eaten or what to eat next, this blog be a lot about food. This will be also about a lot of other things that inspire me and define me. I would guess there is going to be somethin about architecture, cats, knitting, travel, design, photography and interiors later on. Anything that get's me feeling good and inspired I'd say.
But tonight I'll start with the food. Today's ingredient is the butternut squash which is very seasonal right now, featured with my bookshelf, Siri Hustvedt and a Burberry hat.


Yeah, this is it

But as the squash cools down, here's the recipe. I adapted it from something I picked up from the Internet after I found out I had bought a winter squash without any idea what to do with it.

1. Deseeding and peeling the squash. The butternut squash smells even so summery, I would recommend buying it only for the sake of it's scent after halved.

2. Cutting the squash in about 2cm cubes. Easily done after the first phase.

3. In a roasting pan with some olive oil and garlic cloves (around 215 Celsius). Roasted garlic goes really well with, well, anything so if you're using fresh garlic like I am then more is more. As for dried variety I'd say 2-3 cloves / one squash from previous experience.

4. Roast, ROAST. It took me maybe 30-45 minutes to get the squash tender. But the time can be well spent chatting with friends on the Internet, which is nice.

5. Into a pot then we go. And plz remember to peel the garlic cloves beforehand. Puree the whole thing with some sort of a blender (I use Bamix myself since it's way better than my old blender...) Add the required amount of vegetable broth to get the texture wanted. I prefer my soups almost solid so I might not add anything at all. For the spices pretty much a little salt and nutmeg will go, but you could also add some ginger, cardamom or cinnamon to your taste. Go experiment!

6. EAT! This dish also doubles (or triples should I say!) as a pasta sauce for two or as a puree side dish. And it actually turned out really well, the taste of butternut squash is very summery and delicate here but sure goes as a comfort food aswell.


And here's the finished thing. I like to add creme fraiche and croutons to my soups so here they are too.

And well this is it.
This was probably not the most exciting blog post but I'm getting there. The ice cream that I was churning turned out tasting a lot like gingerbread dough, maybe I overdid it with the spices or skipping the sesame was a wrong move. Pretty nice anyway, for the first try, the recipe can be found here.

So that it wouldn't get too dull I picked out a song which has a nice video (probably not really that official, though) and feeling too.



-L


In:
-comfort
-blogging
-lo-fi

Out:
-stress
-hi-fi

1 kommentti:

  1. Ihanan näkönen keitto! Mua harmittaa kun oma englanninkielentaitoni on niin huono etten oikein osaa lukea "antaumuksella" englantia, jää aina noi pienet kielijutut huomaamatta.

    VastaaPoista